New Orleans New Year’s Attack: Shamsud-Din Jabbar kills at least 15 people, later killed in the Shootout.
News

New Orleans New Year’s Attack: Shamsud-Din Jabbar kills at least 15 people, later killed in the Shootout.

Summary: Witnesses describe 'insanity' as the FBI investigates the ISIS angle in the New Orleans attack.


A US Army veteran drove a pick-up truck into a crowd of New Year's revelers on Wednesday, killing at least 15 and wounding others. 

 

On Wednesday, the FBI announced that it was looking into the truck-ramming event on New Orleans' Bourbon Street as a possible act of terrorism. It verified that the alleged assailant had been killed in a gunfight that ensued after the event.

 

The FBI said, "This morning, an individual drove a car into a crowd of people on Bourbon Street In New Orleans, killing several people and injuring dozens of others.” 

 

“The subject then engaged with law enforcement and is now deceased. The FBI is the lead investigative agency, and we are working with our partners to investigate this as an act of terrorism.”

 

"There is no justification for violence of any kind," said President Joe Biden, who also expressed his condolences to the families of the victims and condemned the incident. He promised government assistance for the recovery and probe.

 

The FBI identified the culprit as 42-year-old Shamsud Din Jabbar of Texas, just hours after the terrible incident in New Orleans that turned the New Year into a catastrophe in which 15 people were killed by a killer truck. 

 

After crushing the New Year's revelers, Jabbar opened fire on police, resulting in a brief shootout in which he died. The FBI revealed that his truck was flying an ISIS flag at the time of the terrorist act.

 

According to the FBI, Jabbar might not have acted alone, and they are currently investigating the possibility that someone assisted him in the slaughter. They also urged the public to get in touch if they had interacted with the 42-year-old Texas native, who police believe served in the military for ten years.

 

"We are aggressively running down every lead, including those of his known associates.” said the FBI.

 

Donald Trump called illegal immigrants "worse than the criminals we have in our country" and connected the incident to their presence in the nation.

 

On his social media platform, Truth Social, in a post, he wrote, “When I said that the criminals coming in are far worse than the criminals we have in our country, that statement was constantly refuted by Democrats and the Fake News Media, but it turned out to be true.